“Cancellation of the National leader’s debate is a huge blow to democracy and to Canadian voters." said Kate Storey, local Green Party candidate for Dauphin Swan River Neepawa (above).
“We were not surprised when Harper refused to participate in democracy, but we expected Mulcair to honour his commitment. Millions of voters across the country, from British Columbia to Newfoundland, to Nunavut have been denied the opportunity to see and compare all the party leaders in action.”
- 11 million watched the National Televised English Language Debate in 2011 (Source: Global News)
- 4 million watched the National Televised French Language Debate in 2011
- The 2015 Maclean's Debate drew an average audience of 1.5 million (Source: Maclean’s)
- The Globe and Mail Debate drew an audience of 400,000 (Source: Global News)
- Numbers were not available for the 2015 Munk Debate